The Town of Holly Springs is seeking a Solid Waste Manager to lead the Solid Waste division of the Public Works Department which helps citizens safely dispose of household waste, recycling, and vegetative debris. This newly created position will be a visionary team leader who can build relationships across units and work proactively with the citizens and the community to ensure excellent service delivery.
Located in the desirable and beautiful region of southwest Wake County, just hours from the mountains of North Carolina as well as numerous Atlantic Ocean beaches, the Town of Holly Springs provides a small-town atmosphere with a variety of lifestyle opportunities that arise from a growing economy. Located just minutes from the capital city of Raleigh, which boasts an array of metropolitan amenities including museum, performing arts, universities, professional sports, shopping and an expanding culinary scene.
The Town of Holly Springs (pop. 41,500) is a rapidly growing community. This position will need to be able to actively evaluate and pursue methods and practices for optimum service delivery as the Town has an annual growth rate of 5.5%. The Town is in the process of designing a new Public Works campus requiring this position to assist with developing and managing an active yard waste facility for daily resident drop off to compliment the high-quality pick up service we have today. Reporting to the Public Works Director, the Solid Waste Manager plans, manages, and oversees the activities and operations of the Solid Waste Division including solid waste, yard waste, vegetative debris, and recycling collection services. Duties include managing and reviewing the work of staff engaged in solid waste collection and disposal; recommending policies and practices to enhance operational effectiveness, efficiency, and accountability; working proactively with citizens and the community to ensure excellent service delivery; working with regional partners such as Wake County; interpreting collection rules; coordinating the training of subordinate employees; maintaining a variety of records; arranging purchases; providing input into the division budget; and assisting other divisions of department as needed. The manager will work closely with the Communications and Marketing Department on the outreach and education regarding solid waste, recycling and yard waste best practices and the Fleet Services Manager on usage and assessment of equipment and vehicles.
The successful candidate:
- Is an experience operations manager of curbside waste collection operation including solid waste, yard waste, vegetative debris and recycling;
- Has a track record in providing efficient and effective curbside collection services;
- Effectively oversees an operational budget with careful strategic thinking and planning;
- Proactively engages with the Town and other regional partners as needed;
- Has a thorough knowledge of solid waste regulations and maintains excellent relations with regulators;
- Systematically assesses equipment and plans for maintenance and replacement with assistance of the fleet services manager
- Recognizes the diversity of citizen perceptions and concerns related to solid waste to develop and enhance constructive dialog to resolve issues using sound methods that respect a variety of issues and positions;
- Understands the position oversees a 24/7, 365 operation that requires leadership beyond standard business hours;
- Possesses excellent skills in interpersonal and written communication skills, strategic planning, finance and budget development, administration and intergovernmental relations;
- Stays abreast of professional trends and issues through continuing education and engagement;
- Proactively monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures;
- Effectively cultivates an outstanding workforce through development and management of staff talent.
Work involves considerable public contact requiring the exercise of tact and courtesy to investigate and resolve citizen complaints. Employees in this class may be required to work on-call, after hours, weekends and city observed holidays, on a rotating schedule. Position requires Bachelor’s degree in environmental management, public administration, or related field supplemented by five years of increasingly responsible experience in Solid Waste management or utility operations or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience; and a valid NC driver’s license. Prefer Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA) certification or the ability to obtain in a reasonable period of time. The Town of Holly Springs offers a competitive benefits package including paid parental leave, 5% Town contribution to 401k, health and dental, participation in the Local Government Employees Retirement System, and more. Expected hiring range $ $49,490 - $53,000 depending on relevant experience and education. Open until filled. Apply online at www.hollyspringsnc.us